Monday, August 31

Grow your Own


Isn't it so beautiful out there today... there is talk of us having an indian summer !
We have been picking the apples off our tree today, how satisfying does that feel, I'm really into growing your own fruit and salads, its amazing.

We have buckets of apples that taste beautiful so Ive decided that after i pack orders this week i want to take the kids out fruit picking, I vowed last year i would have a go at making my own jam and possibly some elderberry wine for my fella, so as its that time of the season, I'm going to do it.

My favourite is plum jam ! last year i helped my neighbour out a few times by lending him my huge copper pans and he used to give me a couple of pots of the result of his Victoria jam, so this year I'm going to try and make it myself from his recipe...

The last time i went fruit picking (last year) the kids were eating more than they put in the buckets, then i went with Estelle raiding the land next to where we worked which resulted with me covered in nettle stings as i kind of got stuck up the tree and over the fence, so this year ill take the easy option out and go to the local farm....

I'm not sure what we are going to do with all these apples yet , they are golden delicious so it would be a sin to cook them, but a few of them are heading for the toffee apple making class I'm planning for the kids, my fella makes amazing toffee so im hoping to rope him in for this one.. Its made up for all that watering this year now.. It feels really good......

1 comment:

cogidubnus said...

A few weeks back we hired our favourite "landscape gardener" (posh term for a jobbing labourer) to give the gigantic forsythia hedge it's annual haircut...

we also had an elder tree that had sneaked in between our holly and apple trees...and we agreed he should remove the interloper...

Well he started on the elder, but then decided to break off and see to the forsythia, entrusting the chainsaw to his idiot son... next thing we heard was (at hurricane decibels) "what do you mean you didn't know it was a fucking apple tree, didn't the fucking apples give you a fucking clue?"

Ooops

How we laughed...