Tuesday, June 11

Proud

Where did Monday go? I missed it!
Things are finally getting sorted out for my fellas sister, the kids start school today, which I'm sure will help them get some normality in their lives. The smallest is adamant he's not going to school, so I expect there may be a few tantrums this morning.. Bless, He wants to come back here as he likes our cooking better than mums.
Next week is my grandparents 70th wedding anniversary! I thought id done well at 20 years with Steve but when I see my grandparents together it really does bring a tear to the eye, they are just made for each other and still very much in love. Granddad was telling me last week when we invited them up for a meal about his erection problems ;) yes literally. He says he gets tremendous cramps in his big toes so sits there all night with what looks like 2 great erections! I nearly choked on my potatoes and couldn't stop giggling all afternoon. My eldest sister went on holiday last year with them and says one night when she took granddad back to his hotel room (rather worse for wear) that he hadn't got into the door when he started. "You are in for a good night tonight Gladys" my sister couldn't shut the door fast enough... lol
Nanny has just gotten over skin cancer at 90 and had an operation on her face last week. She wasn't worried about the operation, just concerned she couldn't have her hair done so its nice for granddad.
I forgot to mention in my last blog about one of my dogs 'Frankie' its a little scruffy thing I named after my best friend when he was alive. She was on a diet with her brother dog 'Dexter' here but got very ill. She lost over half her body weight in 2 weeks and then stopped eating completely! The vets didn't know what to do as she couldn't stand up so suggested I put her to sleep. She is 10 years old.
I took her home that weekend as they couldn't just keep her on a drip to feed her and said that if she hadn't eaten by Monday I would do what was best for her, I couldn't see her suffering like that.
On the Saturday night my tough old fella- who apparently doesn't like kids or dogs, sat feeding her creamed rice on a teaspoon! and she ate it! we then spent £1,500 trying to find out why she was so ill and discovered she had diabetes. 3 weeks after being diagnosed she lost her sight completely, within a week!  We took her out for her usual run in the woods, for her to crash head long into a huge tree!She simply couldn't see it, we both just stood there horrified.
The vets showed us other dogs that coped just fine being blind so we have just adjusted things here to help her. You wouldn't believe its the same dog, she is brilliant! I get up at 6am every morning to feed her and give her insulin and then again every evening, but for a dog that was on deaths door she is inspiring and also very happy. She still goes into the woods every day, just stays on a long length lead that I try and steer for her. Her sense of smell seems to have heightened and she simply smells her way around the house and garden now. I'm glad we didn't give up on her, she is harder work than our other dog, but is definitely worth it.
Sunday was a really good day, my eldest son Ryan was presented with a huge honour 'The Queens badge'
They held a big service and unfortunately we had to sing! with me in hysterics laughing at my fella trying to hit high notes! he's as bad as me! but overall I came out feeling the proudest mum in Britain as all us mums feel with our children. He's 18 now and has spent 12 years working in the community and helping others to get this award, he spent a month down my nanny and granddads community area, along with so many other places, serving up dinners in his spare time and taking 30 elderly people shopping every week! he's one of the most caring, calm and happy people I know, I'm really fortunate to have such lovely kids.
The other boys are 2 years behind him and are now working towards theirs. We will be the 1st family ever to have all the brothers get this award so its something good for the other 2 to aim at now. It also does them good to help others and help their planet and not sit on street corners smoking like most do around here.

4 comments:

Z said...

All sounds fantastic - your grandparents are brilliant, so pleased that your dog's diabetes was diagnosed in time, hooray for Ryan - you deserve some good times!

cogidubnus said...

He's with the Boys Brigade! Good for him...so was I years ago, and it's the making of a man!

cogidubnus said...

Been thinking about him...seriously forty odd years ago I was a Staff Sergeant, a year on, a trainee Lieutenant looking to continue forever with a really worthwhile organisation...it's not the BB's fault I didn't continue, but mine....something in many ways I've regretted since...

I'd really done the lot, but hadn't been anywhere near a Queensman...who had?...My company was/is a truly good one...but we only had one Queensman in our whole history..

Your son (now a real man indeed) is not only very special indeed but someone I'd honestly look up to..."The object of the Boys Brigade shall be the advancement of Christ's kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Obedience, Reverence, Discipline, Self-respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness"

So many years on, yet I can remember so clearly the aims and ambitions...I'm no longer a churchgoer, but boy do I remember the way we were taught to respect people from get-go...and heck do I recall so many of the lessons learned back then...

Queensman...respect

All the best

Dave

brown eyed girl said...

Thanks Dave.
The other 2 boys are working towards their queens badges now. Their mates all dropped out along the years but I've always encouraged my kids to stick at what they start and its worked. Ryan is now still going but he's now a teacher with the brigade, helping others like he was helped. Its a matter of respect and kindness and they learn so many good values there.
I would recommend it to any parent, all my kids are polite & respectful which is a dying art now :) Respect back at you for being part of it too x