Tuesday, March 18

Out with the Old - In with the New


Spring has arrived.. Changing of the seasons and everything else. So much is happening here.
I've been talking to my fella about a change in career for me, I want to make a change and do something different. You get to an age as a woman that you don't want to carry on the same as when you were younger, your tastes change and attitude and it looks like I've arrived at that place.
Im sick of clothes and want to do something different now, using different skills and adding to the ones I have already He's agreed whole heartedly, so we are doing something together that's a bit different, I've also been offered 2 jobs running companies for 2 of his past customers,that I can run from here easily, will allow me enough time to still run this place as mum and still run my project with Steve. Im nervous and excited all at the same time. Will fill you in once we are up and running... You will like this one!
My fella meanwhile is going from strength to strength, today he's spending half the day managing a big site in Essex then he's off to Manchester, I put my machines up for sale yesterday and within 60 mins had sold the 4.. Poor bugger has to deliver them for the chap though but I actually made a good profit on them as well as had use of them for years.. Its enough to help along our new business so he doesn't mind a small detour (huge one more like)
He was headhunted by a good firm a couple of months ago and is now running a Norfolk branch here for them, its a lot of thinking and organising, but he's in his element and it shows. His new van comes next week also, so I get to keep the car for a change, Im really pleased he's done so well, I knew he would..
We have a new unit tucked away where we will go to work on the new business and have been getting it ready to use over the last 2 months (I've been painting and he's been making) I have been thinking about changing my work for a long while now, some will say im mad as its doing so well, but I want something different to get my teeth into, a new journey and I don't believe you can sell clothes to people in the same way as you can when you are younger, unless the clothes are older styles, and I've always been a jeans girl at heart. It just doesn't excite me anymore, I want something I can do as a hobby for the next 20 years but have fun while I do it, so im going to follow my heart.
 I've had years of people copying me and mimicking any new ideas I had and this change means that I will get to spend more quality time with my fella as we both love this and do it as a hobby now, I wont be reliant on earning money as I'll earn enough on the Monday-Friday ones to add to the house pot, but it means weekends away and plenty of walking with my fella and that's what matters most now. I asked my kids what they thought I was good at: the answers came back from cooking, sewing, gardening and creating, but they all said I was good at making something old look amazing, im the first to admit I love charity shops and car boots and this means I also get to up-cycle things and give them a new lease of life.. Perhaps to last another 100 years. There is so much waste in the world, im hoping I can help a little in my own way and have fun at the same time...

Im going to sell everything off in my shops and see where this leads. If it takes off and I do these other jobs well, I will make a complete change and close them all down. My kids all have their own paths to follow and my daughter doesn't like clothes and I don't want to end up like a woman I once knew who we called racing blonde, she would sell young peoples clothes and model them herself even though she was in her fifties.. She was the brunt of so many cruel people but I blame the husband (he was the photographer) for not telling her she was too old to model anymore.. That man was never honest with his wife! and cruel with it.. Our tastes change and so do mannerisms and no one wants to be looked on as mutton dressed as lamb anymore.

Meanwhile, as I think about the kids.. They are currently doing GCSEs  and are studying (yes properly up the table and all) they are all so different in their ways. My daughter and I have grown so close walking our blind dog, we now get time alone that we use to learn about each other, she has grown up so much and really is a lovely young lady, she told me she was struggling with Ryan's girlfriend using all my stuff (my make up, shower stuff, perfumes clothes etc) as she finds this rude! and to be fair sometimes I do get pissed off when I go to pluck my eyebrows and my make up bags disappeared but I don't let it get to me. She only acts how she has been brought up to behave so its simply lack of parenting skills there, im sure we can help her adapt to understand things better as time goes by and now at least Lauren understands that decisions we make as parents do affect our children most, as some kids simply are left not knowing how to behave through no fault of their own..

Lauren wont ask for anything, she wont take any clothes from stock if I ask her what she needs as she thinks this is bad as its a company and not free stuff, so she earns jeans etc for doing chores for me, she's grown up into a little me, she's a jeans girl to the heart and it will suit her in her life's journey of working with animals. Its the sort of job where you get your hands dirty and she doesn't mind in the slightest. She's so much like me that way.. Im always happy with im up to my neck in muck or paint.
Callum was interested in renewable engineering, and has now been accepted into a brilliant college, hes the thinker and puzzle maker in the family and is so much like my real dad its scary. He will always look at what needs doing and find the best solution to get it done. Except empting the bins every morning, he will always go for the recycle bin first and quickly, so Brandon gets the messy household one for not doing it as soon as I asked!

Brandon has learning disabilities and suffers from dyspraxia and  is also dyslexic so hes not as bright with literature etc, but where he blossoms is with art, music and computers so is now hoping to attend college to study animation, his interview is next week. He has already been accepted into college for graphics but he knows what he wants to do and is working his arse off to get into the market he wants to do.. I think he will do it, hes the worker in the family and no one tries harder.

Ryan meanwhile is a year away from being a fully qualified electrician and had his first driving lesson last night with mum hanging out of the window smiling away.. Poor lad!
He's installing his first ground source heat pump next weekend with one of Steve's partners (another business he's built up running in the pipeline) and is now going to work weekends so he can get his lessons done and buy himself a little car.
Im gonna need a list soon to keep up with everything that's happening here. But im strangely very happy with my life at the moment...

2 comments:

cogidubnus said...

Jo I really can't believe how brave you are, branching out from something you've, (presumably successfully), been doing for so long into the blue...

I've lacked the guts to be anything other than an employee all my life, (albeit a kind of key one), and while I'm certainly not afraid to put the extra time in for nothing or nothing much extra, (90+ hour weeks for a couple of years...and over the past 30 years an average well over 50 hours), ultimately the real risks have always been someone elses...

Good god you swallow life in big chunks...deep respect!

I hadn't realised you actually had such direct input into the clothing you sold...God what talent...I've actually checked out your site and admired the quality (I know my stuff on this score - my missus was an extremely skilled seamstress and used to make Irish Dancing dresses for top dancers.

Not sure from your descripton what the new direction actually is, but bless you anyway...I'm sure you and the fella will make it work!

All the very best to you both

Dave

brown eyed girl said...

Hi Dave
I like changes it stops me getting bored and gives me something new to learn.
I didn't like change so much when I was younger as I needed some stability when the kids were small, although very rarely got it, so it doesn't scare me anymore, I can only fall on my arse and I'm not the sort to stay down long, im too stubborn!
I'm doing several things at once at the moment, I started running the other business's for Steve a couple of weeks back so spend 4-5 hours a day on them at the moment, but it will be lighter once I get up to strength on what im doing, im building at the moment and doing the mundane work, so I get in front, that way when the sun shines I can do other things and have some back up work ready in-place to cover me.
Me and Steve love old stuff, he loves tools and I love anything unusual that I can make something nice from, so we are recycling stuff at the same time and restoring things back to lasting another 100 years. I haven't closed my shops yet so am doing a bit of everything, slotting the housework in later in the afternoons when I cook tea.
I was arm deep in green gunk last week (literally) and loved every moment of it, cleaning rust off old things and polishing them up afterwards. They really do look amazing and it gives me an enormous sense of happiness seeing them brought back to best. I can paint well and draw but I haven't done it in about 20 years so its nice to bring back some skills into play.
Steve's amazingly talented with antique tools and knowing everything about them. His dad bought and sold them all his life so it seemed a natural progression that he learnt as he went along, I prefer the old lamps, chairs etc so am now learning upholstery on Georgian, Edwardian and Victorian styles. I also picked up some pictures as I like art..
Meanwhile I have been planting the garden and pond up beautifully and cannot wait for the frogs to visit. Its busy, but a good busy, my fella seems to be coming back to life now as he's loving the building game and knows what he's doing. Its like someone's rejuvenated the house! Although the housework is driving me nuts (as I hate a mess) im managing to fit in a little of everything and am getting on top of it. I've pinched all Steve's recipes now too so I tend to do most of the cooking, except Sat nights :) I make him cook..
I didn't realise you wife was a seamstress wow! I've seen some of the costumes they wear on the dance shows and admire them greatly. She must have loved her job and been very good at it :)
I will show you some of the things im doing next week as im going up to the unit this weekend to work with Steve.. Will take some before and after shots for you. :)
Jo xx